A day in the life and home of a child in an informal settlement.

My name is Chris, I am 10 years old and I live in an informal settlement. Everyday I face problems and today was no exception and I am going to tell you about my day. When I woke up at three thirty in the morning I went outside to the tap about three hundred meters away and waited in the line for water for about thirty minutes, on the way back I cut my feet a lot on all the glass and metal, I just wished I had in door plumbing so I could wake up at six in the morning so I don’t have to wait in any lines for fifteen minutes everyday and I could wash myself in a shower or bath before school. After I gave the water to my mom I needed to go to the toilet desperately so I went towards the nearest toilet and once I got there loads of people walked past me while I was on the toilet, I just wish the toilets had doors so people could not see me. Once I was off the toilet I went home to pick up my wet things for school from when it was raining the night before and I walked to school for about forty five minutes and my feet got bitten by a bug on the way to school, I wish I had some shoes and my school was closer to where I lived.

School was fun when I got there I met some of my friends and we played soccer until we got called in for school. I share a little square desk with five of my friends and it is a little squashed but it still is a good desk. Around the middle of the day we had to use glue but my glue has run of glue inside of it and my parents could not afford me another one yet but my friends let me borrow theirs. At break time my class went to the park and we all shared the pitch to play soccer on but the ball burst when one kid kicked it into the pointy fence and no one has another one, I wished my parents had more money to replace my soccer ball. Once break was over I went back to my desk with my friends and it was snack time, I had a quarter of some bread and some milk, I wish my parents could get more food for us.

On the way back to school I started to feel a bit sick and the bag on my back was making me lose my balance, when I got home I told my mom my mom that I was not feeling well and she said that she will take me to the doctors at nine o’clock tonight. My mom and I walked to the doctors and once we got there we waited in line for around fifty five minutes in a very long line. Once we got to the front of the line the doctor gave me pills and we left. My mom told me to take the pills until I have eaten my supper we had some delicious lamb and the I took the pills. After I had eaten my food I did some homework and went to bed on my wet mattress at around twelve o’clock and I woke up two hours later and started writing this in my book. If I had all of these my life would improve for my health, schooling and housing I am feeling better now that I have taken the pills.

Comments

  1. What a beautifully well written blog. I like how you also write the positive as well as the challenges. I really enjoyed reading this blog Kian.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Singing Inspector

My Trip Too Dubai